Mitch Mahoney

Mitch Mahoney
Geneva, Switzerland

Saturday 15 August 2015

Past few days

The past few days here in Switzerland have gone by so fast, I can't believe tomorrow will be a week since I was dropped off at the airport. On Wednesday, my host mom and I drove to the village of Sagogn for the going away party of her nephew Jan. Jan is going to Canada for a year on his rotary exchange. Also, his family will be hosting me in a few months so it was good to meet the entire family so early. On Thursday, I had my first rotary meeting with the Chur-Herrschaft Rotary Club. It was a lunch meeting and the food was very good (as is pretty much all the food I've had here so far). The entire meeting was in German so I didn't understand most of it, however there were a few words here and there that I was able to pick up. Also my host mom has been helping me a lot with my German. Whenever we are talking about simple things, she will often explain things in full German, and actually to my surprise, I'm able to understand most of what she is saying. However, I'm not good at responding yet so I usually respond with just a simple Ja or Nein, which isn't a lot, but it gets the job done. Anyway, after the Rotary meeting, we went over to the cell phone store and got a plan for my phone. We were successful this time because it was only a two month contract so I did not need proof of me staying here for a year. After that we walked all over the old part of Chur, which was very eye opening. I was amazed at the architecture of the city as the whole area was older than the entire country of Canada! Here are some pictures of the city:



This is the school that I will be going to after I finish the language course







Seeing the old part of the city for the first time was awesome! It made me realize how lucky I am to have this opportunity at such a young age to live in Europe for a year. 

On our way back from the city, we stopped by the train station so I could get the tickets that will allow me to travel into and out of Chur every day for school. Yesterday was the first chance I got to use them. I went into the city again, this time by myself using public transportation, to hang out with my friend Lara, a previous exchange student that spent her year in Canada. We just chatted and walked around the city for a bit before I eventually had to go back for dinner. So far, my exchange here in Switzerland has been amazing! I have the welcome meeting in Olten tomorrow where I will finally get to meet all of the other exchange students, then on monday the language course in Zurich begins. I will be posting about those very soon, but until then, enjoy these pictures I took while on a walk around the village I'm currently living in:










1 comment:

  1. Wow the pictures are great and we are so proud of you! We love reading the blog.
    Good job on taking the public transport by yourself. Glad to see that Isabelle has stepped into the mamma bear role very nicely. That makes me so happy!
    Enjoy every second. Xoxox

    ReplyDelete