Mitch Mahoney

Mitch Mahoney
Geneva, Switzerland

Sunday 23 August 2015

Quick Update

I have now finished my first week of Language School. It has been a lot of work so far but I can already tell my German is improving. I can read most easy things and understand when people talk to me slowly. The grammar is definitely my weak spot though.

On Friday after class, I came home and relaxed for a few hours before going to Churer Fest with my host parents. Churer Fest is basically a big street party in the old part of Chur.

Walking up to the festival

When we first got there, we were all pretty hungry so we got some beef on a stick that was cooked over a fire which was sooooo good! And apparently very swiss. After that, we had swiss sausages and chatted with some people for a bit. Eventually some of my exchange friends arrived at the festival so I went with them and we just walked around for a bit and had a good time. Also I was able to meet a bunch of Swiss people that I will be going to school with in a few weeks so it'll be good to have some friends for when I get there.

Saturday I took the train to Zurich to meet up with my oldie Briana and tour around the city. First we went to Coop for lunch (Coop is an amazing grocery store that they have in Switzerland. They literally sell everything there. We ate in the restaurant section) then we walked down to Lake Zurich. We walked along the shore for a bit and talked about exchange and did some sightseeing before we went back to the station so I could get back to Chur. Here's some pictures of the city:



I went to Churer Fest again that evening and met even more swiss people. I'm not very good at remembering names so it was a little bit hard to keep track of all the people I was meeting, but it was still a good time nonetheless.

Anyway, thats just a quick update of what I did this weekend. Tschüss!

2 comments:

  1. Language, grammar, names, places, food......aside from having the time of your life....how are you really feeling? Tired (listening and speaking a different language must be exhausting), mesmerized and happy I think. Tschuss! (without the little dots on top of the u - how do you do that?) Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you like drinking out of public fountains, I recommend visiting Manekin Pis in Brussels. 3 week language class is awesome. That should set you up nicely for starting school. One hint, if you take English at school, it might help you learn some more German!

    ReplyDelete